I have an awesome Nikon D 40, which I love with all my heart. I realize that there is a lot that this camera has to offer but I tend to use two settings, they are called Auto and then the option of using no flash.
Then my sister gave me the challenge of photographing jewelry for the etsy shop. I tried to pass on the challenge to someone else, someone who knows what they are doing.
But Nicole is so encouraging and by the end of the conversation I thought, I can do this, this is possible. And then after my first photo shoot I realized that I needed to read up on the subject of photography, and find my Nikon user manual, that has never been opened…
Luckily I found some wonderful articles via Pinterest about jewelry photography, here they are:
1. This article gives a great tutorial on how to make a light box, and working with your settings.
2. This is the white box that I am going to make, all the items can be purchased at the dollar store. Which is my favorite store, and I end up spending more than I ever mean to every time:)
3. If this white box does not work, she made it even fancier to let in more natural light.
4. This article gives you specific directions on how to make beautiful jewelry pictures with a white background. I recommend having your camera user manual with you while she talks you through all the camera lingo.
5. The Rule of Thirds concept, this gives example of where to position jewelry or any object so that it catches the attention of anyone who sees your photograph.
6. This article gives you some good tips from a buyer who gives tips on what photographs she likes and doesn’t.
7. This lady Rena Klingenberg is such an inspiration to me, every week when I post on link parties, she is right there posting along with me. Her jewelry, tutorials and photography are incredible!
8. This lady has her own signature look, which is what I am hoping to achieve.
9. Then there is my favorite blog lady known to man, her name is the Pioneer Woman. She is an excellent Photographer! In my mind she can do it all:)
10. Nicole said that the jewelry that sales the most in our etsy shop, are the ones that are on people. Which makes sense, because it helps the buyer know the size of the jewelry and how it would look on them.
There is a lot to learn! I thought I could go outside and take a couple of pictures and be done with the whole process, but apparently that is not true! I will keep plugging away on this photography thing, and maybe discover that deep, deep, deep, deep down inside I have this passion for photography… We shall see:)
Here are a few photos. Please keep in mind that I am learning:)
Tales of the Shop:
My dad loves Amazon. I was talking to my dad about a white box and he found something similar to this one and ordered it right away:) Nicole picked it up yesterday and will be testing it out. My dad is always on the pursuit to find the best way to Photograph jewelry. That is one of the many reasons why I love my pops, he always wants to learn, improve and never settle on mediocrity . Which is probably why the pictures I took of the jewelry items did not pass his inspection. All I can say is the challenge is on! He also knows how to keep me motivated, he has worked/trained with me for a long time…